DIY ASBA Caroline pedal..? Making a Floating Heel?

Les pieds, les racks...

Modérateurs : Sages, Modérateurs

Répondre
M. Piedlourde
Passe la tête...
kuchnie na wymiar Dąbrowa Górnicza Chorzów Jaworzno

DIY ASBA Caroline pedal..? Making a Floating Heel?

Message par M. Piedlourde »

Anyone have any advice for me converting Tama Speed Cobras heel hinge to the famous Floating Heel of a ASBA Caroline? There's very little out there on them, nothing to speak of on YouTube that shows them being played or the importance of the Floating Heel. For such an apparently beloved feature it doesn't seem to have been a thing since the early 1980s.

I think a Tama pedal offers the quality & features close to the Caroline Im looking for as a base (not too concerned about hoop clamp) but I have a few questions about the Floating Heel & the shape of the cam, the strap's throw.

Can anyone help an American with a French last name?

soft
Conseil des sages

Re: DIY ASBA Caroline pedal..? Making a Floating Heel?

Message par soft »

I can help with photos and measurements; I sold one last week, and have only one left, that i will never sell (bought it new in 1969)
" the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us"

M. Piedlourde
Passe la tête...

Wicked thanks! First a few questions, as I’ve never played one & want to get an idea of the feel associated with it, I may have some specific & subjective questions.

So, the Floating Heel. Can anyone tell me why no one else did them? Was the material leather, canvas or could I use something like a piece of a car’s seat belt? Is the material at the heel stiff or loose?

soft
Conseil des sages

Message par soft »

you can use any flat machine canvas belt like this one:

https://www.amazon.fr/Firts-Parts-Courr ... B00B7GY1LK

or any 3 millimeters thick, 50 x 40 flexible but stiff plastic strap.
P1200546.JPG
P1200545.JPG

a car's seat belt will be a tad too loose, forget it.

don't know why nobody re-used this sytem. the PDP B.O.A was a somewhat similar plastic hinged pedal some centuries ago/

the Caroline allows you to twist the strap a little bit around the footboard axis, giving nice lively sensations.

Asba already used this "hinge" on two of their previous "Tempo" models, and that worked fine.

hope these infos will do.
" the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us"

M. Piedlourde
Passe la tête...

Awesome details, thanks!

Regarding the strap & cam, it looks a smaller ratio (if that’s the correct word) than either the Tama FlexiGlide or the Speed Cobra Rolling Glide cam. How important would you figure that in the classic feel of the Caroline?

Also, if I were to use the longer footboard of the Speed Cobra, would that affect the feel drastically?

soft
Conseil des sages

Message par soft »

I have not been playing the Caroline since 1981, since the classic Tamco is much lighter. I have been playing it from 1969 till 1981 : easy going piece of gear, not as fast as Czarcie Kopytos , but who would want ?

You should try the Cobra hack; i feel no need for it, but who knows?

M. Piedlourde
Passe la tête...

soft a écrit : dim. 4 juil. 2021, 16:33 I have not been playing the Caroline since 1981, since the classic Tamco is much lighter. I have been playing it from 1969 till 1981 : easy going piece of gear, not as fast as Czarcie Kopytos , but who would want ?

You should try the Cobra hack; i feel no need for it, but who knows?
I left Axis bc I felt like they were too fast for me but I realize that while somewhat true< I was also playing them wrong, springs way too tight. I didn't realize that that I could simulate the feel of the Caroline on an Axis but on the single I still have it's a great setting. Still mechanical, wondering about what the pedal following my foot more will mean for doubles, triples, feathering, blasting, etc.

Répondre

Revenir à « Hardware »